Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie Casserole (Dairy-Free)






Chicken Pot-Pie Casserole (Dairy-Free)

This is comfort food at its best. Easier than messing with a pie crust and individual servings, this recipe is perfect for cozy night in with the family. After looking up several recipes online as a reference, I came up with this one.  A yummy, dairy-free version that is sure to please everyone at the table! 




Ingredients:

3-4 medium sized potatoes, peeled, cubed & boiled, until almost tender.
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 bag mixed frozen veggies. (I chose corn, carrots, peas & green beans)
1 can chicken stock

2/3 C coconut milk + 1/4 C water
1/4 C flour
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp black pepper

1 Tsp minced garlic
1 Tbs onion powder
3 Tbs Toffuti brand cream cheese
2 Tbs butter

****Note****
You will also need the ingredients listed for the biscuit recipe. Follow the link below.
Biscuit recipe can found here. I adjusted her recipe by subbing in coconut milk, using AP flour for the whole recipe & halved the amount of honey. I also adjusted for high-altitude by adding an extra 1/4 C of flour.

Assembly:
The potatoes should be done or just about before cooking the chicken. Melt the butter in a skillet, and after it's hot, add the garlic & chicken.  Stir in the flour on the chicken so the sauce will thicken later. In the mean time, cook the frozen veggies in the microwave.  Once the chicken is almost cooked, pour in the can of chicken broth and the Tofutti cream cheese. Whisk until incorporated. Then add the veggies. Bring to a simmer & add the potatoes & seasonings, adding more or less salt depending on your taste. I used extra onion powder because I didn't use actual onions in the recipe. Add the coconut milk and bring back to a simmer. It should start to thicken up. If not, add in a little more flour. I let it simmer for about 10 mins. while I assembled the biscuit dough recipe. In a 9x13 pan, I poured the chicken & veggie mixture. The oven was preheated to 475* for the biscuits. Instead of putting the biscuits in circular pan, I added them to the top of the filling. Once the biscuit dough was put on top of the mixture, I baked it for 15 minutes until the biscuits were a dark golden brown. I let the whole thing cool for 5 minutes after taking it out of the oven and topped the biscuits with a little melted butter. Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment