Picking out your fleece should be fun, not a time racking decision. When I picked out the pattern for the next blankie, I asked the soon-to be parents if the nursery had a theme and went with that. I browsed through the different little girl patterns, decided they were too baby-ish and ended up picking out a cute brown based print with pink, blue and green birds and trees. To compliment it, I went with a pretty girl pink blizzard fleece. For me, that pattern just fit. It was exactly what I was looking for. It's a blankie she can grow into until she literally outgrows it and no longer fits her. Go with what you think is appropriate for the new little one. If you want to go with the nursery, infant patterns, go ahead. It's the thought that counts and I'm sure that the new parents won't mind having another blanket on hand for their little one, since we all know that babies can get messy and make messes. I even made myself one, finding some awesome pine cone print fabric on clearance. Score! I matched it up with some brown and green plaid print so matches our living room and decor quite nicely I think.
This style of blankie holds up better than the tied fringe style ones. There are no knots to come undone except for one small one at the end of the braid that finishes the braid. I wash my material first before I start assembling the blanket, that way its clean and ready to be wrapped up and given away. I will post the links to the site with the instructions and the YouTube video so you can start crafting your own no-sew double braided fleece blankies. Have fun picking the colors and prints, don't fret over it, follow the instructions and you will be knocking these blankets out as fast as you can buy the material.
Links:
Youtube Video tutorial on how to braid
Link to instructions on making the blankets
Cowboy boots & spurs with solid red blizzard fleece
Solid pink blizzard with bird & duck print in pastels for baby girl.
Braid close up. *Note* I don't use the paper clip trick shown in the instructions, I just use my fingers and get along just fine that way. Use whichever way works best for you.
Little girl's blanket all done.
My blanket with the pine cone print (yes I know from a distance it looks like a pineapple, but it's not). This was 2 yds of material which is a good sized blanket for an adult. The baby ones are a either 1 yd or 1 1/2 yds.
This one is for a little boy whose nursery is pirate/nautical themed
Gender neutral green with white polka dots and solid yellow blizzard. Went to a friend in Australia who had a little boy.
Brown with white polka dot and blue tie dye for a little boy.
looks cute. hmm i might have to try it sometime
ReplyDelete